An extensive full rebuild and development of this technically advanced 1982 5,000 mile 900 Sei, including restyling it to Alejandro De Tomaso’s original and beautiful 750Sei appearance.
The £10,000 plus rebuild programme is outlined below. Due the cost plus labour involved in this Classic Bike Guide magazine 7 features rebuild, you will appreciate the reserve price of £8,500 is understandable and very fair.
· Removed 900 Sei bracketry and replaced with bracketry to accept 750 components, including fuel tank, seat and 2 side panels. Retained original rider protecting 900 bikini fairing.
· Fitted re-chromed steel 750 mudguards and rear light assembly.
· Fitted chromed rear pillion grab rail.
· Designed and fitted 2 stylised chromed protection bars to keep soft luggage from fouling suspension.
· Soft expandable panniers and top box included.
· Fabricated 2 chromed engine protection crash bars.
· Replaced stock rubber foot-pegs with 4 chromed Sundance units.
· Fitted Scottoiler duplex chain lubrication system to maintain chain longevity.
· Replaced all nuts-n-bolts with polished Allen bolts and domed nuts where practical.
· Stripped black painted frame, shot blasted and repainted in Benelli silver.
· Stainless steel HT Allen bolts throughout.
· Cyl/head ported, polished with larger (unleaded) Cosworth style valves offering 10% power increase. Spare valves included. Original 4,500 mile stock cylinder head included.
· Engine internals kept stock, fitted uprated OHC chain tensioner.
· Replaced stock air-cleaner with 3 x K&N air cleaners plus K&N cam cover and gearbox filters.
· Fitted Sachse state-of-the-art electronic ignition system c/w 3 x modern ignition-coils.
· Fitted HEL Performance oil cooler and Mocal Aeroquip hoses via Mocal oil thermostat (with additional oil temp and pressure gauge sender installation). Oil-filter sandwich plate take-off also by Mocal.
· Polished all removable alloy engine parts.
· Stainless steel HT Allen bolts throughout.
· Engine Ice-Blasted by Cryogenesis for the safety of internals and then re-painted 750Sei black and silver.
· Converted cable clutch operation to Venhill’s Magura Hymec hydraulic system, matching Brembo hydraulic brake lever.
· Replaced 900 6-into-2 exhaust system with a custom made chrome 750 Sei style 6 individual pipe system.
· Replaced rear shocks with Hagon – adjustable for bump/rebound and spring pre-load.
· Forks stanchions were hard chromed by AM Philpot then rebuilt with new parts.
· Alloy fork legs were stripped of paint and polished to gloss finish.
· Fitted alloy strut brace between stanchions.
· Wheel rims stripped and powder-coated silver.
· Fitted Avon tubeless Roadrunner tires.
· All 3 discs were cross-drilled to improve efficiency.
· Calipers re-built by Brembo UK
· Brembo replaced hydraulic brake lever to a modern unit to simultaneously operate all 3 discs at once, with overriding independent foot-pedal operation to rear disc.
· Fitted silver PVC coated stainless steel brake lines throughout, made by Venhill.
· Fitted a Super-B lithium-ion B10 lightweight and compact battery.
· Installed auxiliary oil temperature & oil pressure gauges in bikini fairing.
· Replaced old Bosch alternator for ‘Electrex World’ permanent magnet rotor design (no windings or brushes to fail) and solid state regulator.
· Installed electronic gear selection indicator by Acumen Electronics. Plus a relay to allow side-stand support with neutral only engine starts.
· Installed battery ‘master-kill-switch’.
· Headlight upgraded to HID rated bulb with enhanced brilliance by the installation of a Sachse solid-state direct feed relay.
· Installed an LED rear light bulb which is brighter without visually modernising.
· Discreetly installed FIAMM twin horns in under-seat electrics area.
Colour Scheme - Inspired by classic Benelli racing colours
· Benelli silver (used on many models for years) - frame etc. plus pin-stripe highlighting on tin-ware.
· Tornado Tre 900 candy green (circa 2000) - fairing, tank and side panels.
· Cagiva graphite (circa 1982) to highlight fairing, tank and side-panels.
· Datatag electronic security identification system; secretly marked components throughout bike.
· Datatool TrakKING anti-theft Thatcham cat: 6 TQA approved system.
As you will appreciate, this is probably one of the best, award winning, 900Sei’s in Europe. All modifications have been photographed and documented by the owner, in part for the 7 Classic Bike Guide magazine features and to pass on info to the new owner. Some of the original 900Sei parts will be included in the sale. With just 500 very enjoyable miles since this extensive rebuild, I am time-short with far too many projects to complete, including the construction of a 23m live-aboard complex Dutch Barge.